Medicaid home sale question

by paul

What if you sell your house and put the money in your childrens name and you become medical disabled and are admitted to a nursing home, can medicaid still come after you. I live in new york state.

Comments for Medicaid home sale question

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 24, 2015
Gift of house proceeds to children
by: K. Gabriel Heiser

If you make a gift of the house--or the proceeds of a sale of the house--to your children and then apply for Medicaid within the next five years, there will be a very long penalty period during which Medicaid will not pay the nursing home bills. In most cases, it will be better not to apply until after the five-year lookback period has expired.

K. Gabriel Heiser
Author, Medicaid Secrets (

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Living Trust Question.

Like This Site

Subscribe to
Free Living Trust Information

Your E-mail Address

Your Name


We keep this private.

Follow the Living Trust Blog

Like this Page

Visit Our Social Pages

Become a Fan of Free Living Trust Information on Facebook Follow FreeLivingTrustInformation on Twitter Follow FreeLivingTrustInformation on Google+ Subscribe EstatePlanningHub Video on YouTube

Get a PDF version of this website and its sister site here.