How to leave my son my assets

by Betty

Is it possible to make a living trust to insure my son's stepfather (my husband) will give my son my half of the assets without my husband knowing about the living trust?

Comments for How to leave my son my assets

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Aug 19, 2010
QTIP trust is what you want
by: Mo Johnson

Hi, yes it is. The most common way this is done is through a Qualified Terminable Interest Property Trust.

We discuss this more at QTIP Trust.

But, you say you don't want your husband to know that you want part of your assets to go to your son. It's possible that you can keep it secret from him, but that's not the preferable solution. It normally is better if he knows the plan ahead of time and isn't shocked should you pass away before him. But, of course, you are in the best position to judge that. He might be relieved to find out that what you want to do is quite common in step-family situations. In fact, as the article above discussed, Congress passed a special law to allow it.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Living Trust Discussion.

Like This Site

Subscribe to
Free Living Trust Information

Your E-mail Address

Your Name


We keep this private.

Follow the Living Trust Blog

Like this Page

Visit Our Social Pages

Become a Fan of Free Living Trust Information on Facebook Follow FreeLivingTrustInformation on Twitter Follow FreeLivingTrustInformation on Google+ Subscribe EstatePlanningHub Video on YouTube

Get a PDF version of this website and its sister site here.